Splunk Search

Why would data show up in _raw but not in search results after SEDCMD?

danfein

Hi there,
I have several multivalue fields that are sometimes uneven. To make up for this, I'm trying to use SEDCMD to add a value anytime that value would otherwise be empty.

Example before SEDCMD:
FIELD 1 FIELD 2
2 data

Example before SEDCMD:
FIELD 1 FIELD 2
1 -1
2 data
3 -1

So I have SEDCMD-fillvaluenull = s/"fields": {}/"fields": {"value":"-1"}/g

And if I search for _raw then I see that it has successfully changed to -1, but when I search for fields.value it is not showing the -1, it only returns the data that I imported is what it seems.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Why?
Because Indexed Extractions and Sedcmds in props both occur at index time and both end up in the index. However, I'm not sure why _raw does not match event Information or Interesting fields.

Instead of the sedcmd you might try the MISSING_VALUE_REGEX parameter in props.conf to fill in fields that are empty.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Use KV_MODE = json to extract the field at search-time which will happen after SEDCMD.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

I'm assuming you are using INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=json in your props. SEDCMD happens AFTER INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS. In other words, the fields are extracted before they are changed in _raw. You could try removing INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS and do the extractions in SPL or use REPORT OR EXTRACT in your props on your SH.

0 Karma

danfein

As soon as I removed INDEXTED_EXTRACTIONS I'm unable to see any fields on the righthand side (of the Upload GUI).

Do you recommend I not use SEDCMD? I'm not sure how to use SPL or Report or EXTRACT.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

You cannot use INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS & SEDCMD they way you were using it. Your options are to keep the SEDCMD, remove INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS and use field extractions on the SH by making these changes

props.conf

[unique_stanza_with_sedcmd]
KV_MODE = json

thanks to @somesoni2 for the suggestion

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...