Splunk Search

Why would a command via CLI that exports to a CSV re-order the columns? Looks like the columns get re-ordered alphanumerically.

kuja
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk Web search ran:

sourcetype=vmstat |head 10| table _time source sourcetype mem_free

OUTPUT is as listed above in that order

Splunk CLI command ran:

root@<machine_name>:/opt/splunk/bin# ./splunk search "sourcetype=vmstat |head 10| table _time source sourcetype mem_free" -maxout 20 -output csv "_time", source, sourcetype, mem_free > test.csv

The order that it shows in the output is alphabetical rather than in the order requested like the UI delivers. Is this expected behavior?

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

i think, the table command changes the output file format.
the -output csv (or table) does not affect the final file format.

please try -

splunk@machine:~/bin> ./splunk search "index=os_nix sourcetype=vmstat earliest=-5m@m latest=now |head 10| table _time source host sourcetype mem_free" -maxout 20 -output table _time, sourcetype, host, source, mem_free > test2.csv

INFO: Your timerange was substituted based on your search string

splunk@machine:~/bin> ./splunk search "index=os_nix sourcetype=vmstat earliest=-5m@m latest=now |head 10| table source host _time sourcetype mem_free" -maxout 20 -output table _time, sourcetype, host, source, mem_free > test3.csv

INFO: Your timerange was substituted based on your search string

0 Karma

gwiner

Mine isn't even alphabetical. The column that should be first is actually last.

0 Karma

carlostapia01

I'm dealing with same issue. Does anyone has solved this nice behaviour?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...