Splunk Search

Why does lookup file works for me but no on else?

just4bs

I have a .csv file that I have uploaded as a lookup file that works fine when I run a search.  If I ask another user to do the same search, it times out on them.  No error, it does nothing.   I have the permissions set for everyone read/write.  Should the permissions be different?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @just4bs 

It's not clear whether you shared the lookup file object into the app or globally too.  

yeahnah_0-1679441739227.png

If it is private then only you will see it.

Also, are you using a lookup definition or referencing the lookup directly.  If using a definition then you must ensure it is shared into the app, or globally too, along with read permission for other users.

Hope this helps

0 Karma

yeahnah
Motivator

Actually, rereading your question you say other users' query timeout, which is strange.  If it could not access the lookup then Splunk would report it as an error.

I suggest looking at the search.log of the query for clues

Job > Inspect Job

yeahnah_1-1679442220363.png

The click on search.log 

yeahnah_2-1679442268546.png

Look for ERROR or WARNING entries

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...