Splunk Search

Why does dedup command with sortby parameter in base searches produce duplicate results in Splunk 7.1.4?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Good morning,

I've noticed a strange phenomenon with Splunk Enterprise 7.1.4 base searches and I wanted to see whether anyone else has noticed it too. Here is what I've done:

1. Created accelerated data model
  2. Used accelerated data model in a base search
  3. Within the base search I use the dedup command with sortby parameter
  4. Created a panel based on the base search and used timechart command
  5. Made the panel a single with sparkline

Now for the weird part. The dashboard doubles the results in the panel! If I open the panel in search through the magnifying glass icon it shows the correct, non-doubled value. After further analysis I've found that there are two ways to get the panel working properly:

1. Remove the base search and replicate it to each panel, which is inefficient
  2. Remove the sortby parameter from the base search

Is this a bug in Splunk? Before anyone asks, no there are no duplicate events in the index.

Regards,

Andrew

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

open a support case and ask Splunk.

0 Karma

jnahuelperez35
Path Finder

Please, take a look at this question about populating dropdown items https://answers.splunk.com/answers/145911/how-to-populate-dropdown-input-with-ids-from-search.html

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Show some events and show the XML, so that we can try to reproduce it.

andrewtrobec
Motivator

@woodcock I've tried to isolate and reproduce the issue in the search app but I cannot... I asked the question to see whether there was a known issue. I wonder if it is permission related or whether there is some config file that causes this phenomenon.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...