Splunk Search

Why does PREAMBLE_REGEX work on Windows Splunk but not Linux Splunk?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Hello,

I am currently using the following REGEX for PREAMBLE_REGEX in props.conf which works on Splunk 6.4.x running on Windows:

(^|[\r\n])(Job\.Description[^\r\n]+|String[^\r\n]+)

This is used to tell Splunk to skip the second and third lines of log files which always start:

Job.Description,Job.NumJobWaitEvents...
String,Integer,Integer...

I've since migrated my app to a Splunk 6.4.x instance running on Linux, but it doesn't work anymore (the lines aren't ignored). What changes should I be looking out for to ensure that the regular expression works in Linux as well?

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

Tags (1)
0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try:

^(Job\.Description.+|String,.+)$

It should work the same way as your regex, but it's simpler. That might make a difference.

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Thanks for the input. The REGEX works but doesn't solve the problem. I've found what I was looking for here:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/209824/how-to-get-splunk-to-ignore-the-second-line-of-a-l.html

Suggestion was to use a null-queue transform by modifying props.conf and transforms.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...