Splunk Search

What other commands do you avoid to save system resources?

fedejko
Explorer

Hi,

I have a general question about which commands do you usually avoid in order to make search faster?

For example I tend to aviod transaction and join. Instead of join, when possible I try do use lookup. Also in favour of lookup, I try not to use subsearches which use | inputlookup command.

What about other commands? What other commands do you avoid to save system resources?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @fedejko,

commands to avoid are join and transaction, then you have to analyze your dashboard and see if you can optimize them using Post Process Search, acceleration, Summary indexes or Data Models.

Search them in Splunk documentation for details.

Lookups are a good approach when you have few data, if you have many data od data with a timestamp the other methods are better.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

fedejko
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.

I don't analyze dashboards, only saved searches which run periodically.

So you don't mention any other resource-hungry commands apart from transaction and join?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @fedejko,

no, other than these two commands there aren't other heavy commands, but as I said, you have also to analyze your searches.

In other words, if you use a search on billions of events, maybe it could be useful to use a Summary index or an accelerated search or a Data Model than a lookup.

Then you have to avoid searches with * at the beginning of a field, then use positive matches than negative ones, and all the methods to optimize your searches.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...