Splunk Search

Using subsearch results to loop through another search?

jeck11
Path Finder

I have been reviewing the countless other postings on subsearches but I can't pull them all together to figure out our issue. 

This first search builds a list of carts that we need to find the contents of:

index="name" "Authorization was not successful!" AND /placeorder
| rex field=_raw "/carts/(?<cart>.+)/placeorder" | dedup cart | table cart

This is where I run into issues. I need to take the table created in that search and find all of the items contained in them. 

Here is the search for a single cart from that list:

index="name" "3322830131/processCheckout" AND "\"paymentProvider\":\"PayPal\""

My thought is that I need to cycle through the table from the subsearch, replacing the number in this search, then finally building a visualization that shows the contents of each cart using the most recent event in the second search. 

Am I way off? This seems pretty easy but I can't figure it out. TYIA

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

index="name" "\"paymentProvider\":\"PayPal\"" [ search index="name" "Authorization was not successful!" AND /placeorder
| rex field=_raw "/carts/(?<cart>.+)/placeorder" | dedup cart | eval search=cart."/processCheckout" | fields search | format ]

The field "search" is given special treatment by format such that just the values are kept, not the field name i.e. "value" rather than 'search="value"'

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...