<query>| loadjob savedsearch="MyUser:MyApp:WindowsPatches" 
| search $DPT$ | stats dc(Computer_Name)</query>
          <earliest>-30d@d</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
          <sampleRatio>1</sampleRatio>
        </search>
      </single>
</panel>

I'm facing a little issue here, I can filter using a dropdown, that's the "| search $DPT$ " where $DPT$ is a dropdown of Departments with the following Token value prefix :

• DPT="

and the following Token value sufix

• "

But I would like to reuse the "restricted search terms" of the user which is, for exemple : DPT="IT" in order to really restrict and not only visually. I didn't find a topic on how to retrieve this specific field, any ideas ?

Regards,

Tags (1)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do not use those search restrictions using search-time fields if the application is security-relevant, they're easily bypassed.
Similarly, do not use dashboard-based restrictions as those are under the control of the user's browser, and thereby easily bypassed as well.

If it's just a convenience case with no security implications you can use the currently logged in user's context via |rest to load its roles and associated search filters.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Index permissions per role and saved searches running as owner for indexes the users should not have full access to.

0 Karma

mdtrandco

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your answer. If I have security in mind, what are the function I should look into ?

Regards,

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...