Splunk Search

Timezone- Could you please help me convert all the values to a standard  timezone(UTC)?

ranjithan
Path Finder

Hi Community,

Please help me..

I have a field Expiration with values having different timezones . Could you please help me convert all the values to a standard  timezone(UTC).  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Expiration

18:02:56 EDT Oct 5 2022
12:02:56 CDT Oct 5 2022
13:02:56 EDT Oct 5 2022
18:02:56 CDT Oct 5 2022
18:59:59 EST Nov 15 2022
19:59:59 EDT Oct 5 2022
17:02:56 UTC Oct 5 2022
18:59:59 CDT Oct 5 2022
Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ranjithan,

you could extract the timezone from the field and then put in a lookup the convertion factor.

so create a lookup called timezone_convertion_factor.csv with two columns: timezone, convertion_factor like the following (in the real case, obviously put all the values that you can find in many sites as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones😞

timezone convertion_factor
EDT -5
CDT -6
EST -5
UTC 0

you could run something like this:

<your_search>
| eval timezone=strftime(Expiration,"%Z")
| lookup timezone_convertion_factor.csv timezone OUTPUT convertion_factor
| eval Expitarion_UTC=Expitarion+convertion_factor*3600
| table Expitarion_UTC

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ranjithan,

you could extract the timezone from the field and then put in a lookup the convertion factor.

so create a lookup called timezone_convertion_factor.csv with two columns: timezone, convertion_factor like the following (in the real case, obviously put all the values that you can find in many sites as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones😞

timezone convertion_factor
EDT -5
CDT -6
EST -5
UTC 0

you could run something like this:

<your_search>
| eval timezone=strftime(Expiration,"%Z")
| lookup timezone_convertion_factor.csv timezone OUTPUT convertion_factor
| eval Expitarion_UTC=Expitarion+convertion_factor*3600
| table Expitarion_UTC

Ciao.

Giuseppe

ranjithan
Path Finder

Thank you so much   .    Also I just realised that using   %Z  with strptime automatically converts to epoch time from any time zone and this also can  standardise the time    for time calculations.  

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @ranjithan,

if one answer solves your need, please accept one answer for the other people of Community or tell us how we can help you.

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma

ranjithan
Path Finder

Thanks again for your help! 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...