Splunk Search

Splunk search using operator returning opposite results

tympaniplayer
Path Finder

When I use the windows app to search for a hardrive with less than a certain amount of space to set up alerts, I sometimes get results that are opposite of what I am expecting.

For example when I use this search:

source=WMI:FreeDiskSpace NOT localhost host="hostname" Name="C:" FreeMegabytes<"9216"

I will get matching events which have FreeMegabytes values greater than 9216

However when I use the greater than operator search returns 0 results. This seems to be an intermittent problem.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

By quoting the value on the right, Splunk will interpret it as a string. Remove the quotes and all will be well. I would not recommend | where, as this is a far more inefficient search.

In general, you want to be as specific as possible to the left of the first pipe. The one exception to this, where you have to use where, is when you are comparing two fields, e.g. if foo and bar are extracted or calculated fields:

...| where foo > bar

View solution in original post

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

By quoting the value on the right, Splunk will interpret it as a string. Remove the quotes and all will be well. I would not recommend | where, as this is a far more inefficient search.

In general, you want to be as specific as possible to the left of the first pipe. The one exception to this, where you have to use where, is when you are comparing two fields, e.g. if foo and bar are extracted or calculated fields:

...| where foo > bar

tgow
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You might want to change your search to the following:

source="WMI:FreeDiskSpace" NOT host=localhost host="hostname" Name="C:" | where FreeMegabytes < 9216 
0 Karma

tympaniplayer
Path Finder

Thank you so much, still learning about how to search in splunk!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...