index=index1 sourcetype=sourcetype1 | table host, software{}

host                 software

hostname       cpe:/a:vendor:product:version
                            cpe:/a:vendor:product:version
hostname       cpe:/a:vendor:product:version

Here, there are multiple software tied to one hostname, and the software is under one field called software{}. What I am looking for is a way to split the software field into 3 fields by extracting the vendor, the product and the version into 3 separate fields to return:

host                 software_vendor                   software_product             software_version

hostname       vendor                                       product                                  version
                            vendor                                       product                                  version
                            vendor                                       product                                  version
hostname       vendor                                       product                                  version

Does anyone have any ideas?

Labels (5)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are a few ways to do that.  I like to use rex.

| rex field=software "cpe:\/a:(?<software_vendor>[^:]+):(?<software_product>[^:]+):(?<software_version>.*)"

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are a few ways to do that.  I like to use rex.

| rex field=software "cpe:\/a:(?<software_vendor>[^:]+):(?<software_product>[^:]+):(?<software_version>.*)"

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

psomeshwar
Path Finder

Thanks, this did help me, although now, a new problem arose. When I split the fields, they are not listed in the corresponding order. For example, here is how it was shown originally:

host                        software{}

hostname            cpe:/a:vendorA:product2:version3
                                 cpe:/a:vendorB:product3:version1
                                 cpe:/a:vendorC:product1:version2

With the new rex, it now looks like this:

hostname               software_vendor                 software_product              software_version

hostname               vendorA                                   product1                                 version1
                                    vendorB                                   product2                                 version2
                                    vendorC                                   product3                                  version3

Is there a way to keep the association between the vendor, product and version after the split?

0 Karma

psomeshwar
Path Finder

Never mind, this did not happen. Thanks for the solution!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...