Splunk Search

Search query required to lookup a csv file

ajayrejin
Explorer

Hi,

I need to check if the source address from the firewall logs is in private ip address range. How would i check using inputlookup and join commands.
Below is the query i am using , however no results come up

index=firewall log_subtype=vulnerability severity=informational | join src [ inputlookup PRIVATE_IP.csv ] | stats count by src

Tags (1)
0 Karma

DMohn
Motivator

Hi,

You don't have to use a join here, which is a very "costly" command. A simple subsearch does the trick as well:

index=firewall log_subtype=vulnerability severity=informational | search [inputlookup PRIVATE_IP.csv]

Given that the lookup table contains only one field named "src" - otherwise you will have to restrict the return from the subsearch and / or rename the field.

0 Karma

ajayrejin
Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for that query.
I am using the below query and results i see is only public IP addresses, however result should show only private IPs. Am i doin something wrong? Please do correct me

index=frewall log_subtype="vulnerability" severity="informational" | join type=left src_ip [ inputlookup PRIVATE_IP.csv ] | stats count by src_ip

0 Karma

DMohn
Motivator

You don't have to use the join command. Have you tried using the query I stated above? If you add the count command, you should get exactly the result you want.

index=firewall log_subtype="vulnerability" severity="informational" | search [ inputlookup PRIVATE_IP.csv ] | stats count by src_ip
0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@ajayrejin,

Try this and lets know if it works.

index=firewall log_subtype=vulnerability severity=informational |eval flag=0
|append [inputlookup PRIVATE_IP.csv |eval flag=1]
|stats count , max(flag) as flag  by src

If the count is > 1 and flag=1 then its a private IP which is part of your lookup file.

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...