Splunk Search

Search field names with spaces in map command inner search

ErikaE
Communicator

I have data from a sourcetype that I am searching with a map command like so:

source=outersearch | map search="search source="innersource" | stats avg(Param)"  

This search runs correctly and returns the expected number of events from innersource. However, I would like to be able to search for a fieldname with a space in the inner search source. i.e. "Field Name"="String Value". When I isolate the inner search, it works just fine. When I include it in the map string:

source=outersearch | map search="search source="innersource" "Field Name"="String Value" | stats avg(Param)"   

The map search returns no results. The documentation says that the map search string is 'literal' but I can't find any documentation on what that means or how it constrains how the search has to be written.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this (demonstrates multiple approaches):

source=outersearch | map search="search source=\"innersource\" $Field Name$='String Value' | stats avg(Param)" 

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this (demonstrates multiple approaches):

source=outersearch | map search="search source=\"innersource\" $Field Name$='String Value' | stats avg(Param)" 

ErikaE
Communicator

The escape character ended up working great, i.e.:

\"Field Name with Space\"

It took a little bit of fiddling to figure out which parts of the inner search were causing issues.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...