Splunk Search

Regular expression works separately but, not able to work it within Splunk query.

mappu
Engager

Hello,

I'm trying to find average response time of all events after the field totalTimeTaken. Thing is, when I tested this regular expression on Regular Expression Site

It shows I'm extracting the field and value correctly but, when I put the same into the Splunk statement it is not yielding the expected result. 

Log: 

{"Record: {"ATimeTaken":0, "BTimeTaken":0 ,"totalTimeTaken":4},{anotherFields}}

Query:

| makeresults ns=project*
| eval _raw="\"totalTimeTaken\":4" 
| rex field=_raw "\"totalTimeTaken\":+(?<Response_Time>\d+)"
| stats avg(response_time)

Could I know where I'm going wrong?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

mappu
Engager

Removed the eval statement and got it working. 

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi. 

So you tried

| makeresults ns=project*
| stats avg(response_time)

And there are two problems.

1) the first makeresults .. I don't know what the ns=project* is. Here's the reference
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Makeresults

2) your rex is extracting the value into the field Response_Time but then use do stats avg on response_time in lowercase.  Case matters in Splunk field names.

Here's what seems to work

| makeresults=1
| stats avg(Response_Time)

mappu
Engager

Thanks.

And, It is taking only one event and returning me average response time as 4 or any number I put in the eval field. I couldn't grab all the numbers in such logs/events and take average value.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...