Splunk Search

Plotting duration on chart

ChhayaV
Communicator

hi,

I want to show time taken by a process to complete in seconds on time chart.

sample log entries

4432 [e0] INFO 2013-04-18 05:58:46.764 TM1.Process Process "TI_1" executed by user "Admin"

4432 [e0] INFO 2013-04-18 05:58:55.796 TM1.Process Process "TI_1": finished executing normally, elapsed time 9.02 seconds

4432 [e0] INFO 2013-04-18 06:01:45.400 TM1.Process Process "TI_1" executed by user "Admin"

4432 [e0] INFO 2013-04-18 06:01:55.243 TM1.Process Process "TI_1": finished executing normally, elapsed time 9.84 seconds

4432 [e0] INFO 2013-04-18 06:02:26.038 TM1.Process Process "TI_1" executed by user "Admin"

4432 [e0] INFO 2013-04-18 06:02:28.627 TM1.Process Process "TI_1": finished executing normally, elapsed time 2.59 seconds

Example values of duration from above log entries are 9.02 seconds and 9.84 seconds etc. We want plot these values on chart

Thanks

0 Karma

zeroactive
Path Finder

Two ways to do this:

Easiest way would be to just search for lines that contain the "elapsed time" value in it and chart those values. You can extract the elapsed time with a regular expression:

"finished executing normally" | rex field=_raw "elapsed time (?<myduration>.*\s)seconds " | chart avg(myduration)

If you have multiple process names, you could extract the process name into a field as well and add that into your chart:

"finished executing normally" | rex field=_raw "Process (?<processName>\w+)" | rex field=_raw "elapsed time (?.*\s)seconds " | chart avg(myDuration) by processName

Of course, use "timechart" instead of "chart" if you want to see the distribution of durations over time. Also. "timechart" does not require the use of a statistical function, but as Ayn points out if you have multiple events occuring during a given time slice on that you will still need to use a stat function.

Probably your best bet on this type of data is to use "table" instead of "chart" or "timechart".

0 Karma

ChhayaV
Communicator

ok so there is no way to plot a chart in a way i want?

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

I insist on that you do need it. Otherwise timechart would have no idea of how to handle multiple values in a timeslice.

ChhayaV
Communicator

i want to plot time taken by a particular process to complete on chart.if elapsed time is 0.03 seconds this means process took 3 seconds to complete that i want to show with process name.And is it necessary to use function with time chart can i not use something like timechart myduration by Processname?

0 Karma

ChhayaV
Communicator

hi
How can i show process names also | table table _time myduration working fine but i need to show process name also

0 Karma

ChhayaV
Communicator

hi i am not able to match the process which are having name as "}Drill_Sales_Drill"

I matched all the process which are like "TI_1"

any suggestion?

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

No, chart needs a statistical function as an argument so you can't just give it a field straight away like that. Also I imagine the poster wants to plot these over time. You could achieve this by skipping the chart commands and using | table _time myduration at the end.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...