Splunk Search

Plot multiple charts in one report

Shahnoor

Hello, I'm trying to sum by groups (I have 2 groups) and then plot them individually and also the sum. I'm using following script to plot group 1.

| fields inbound_rate outbound_rate HOST
| where HOST like "%location_a%"
| addtotals fieldname=a_TPS
| timechart span=5m sum(a_TPS) as a_TPS

This works and sums all the server TPS from location a. Now I have servers in another location (location_b). How can I plot TPS for location a, location b and sum of both?

Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Something like

<your search> host IN (*location_a*, *location_b*)
| fields inbound_rate outbound_rate host
| eval location = if(match(host, "location_a", "location_a", "location_b")) ``` rex is usually more code-economic, split is more efficient, etc ```
| addtotals fieldname=a_TPS
| timechart span=5m sum(a_TPS) as a_TPS by location
| addtotals

Note: I assume that HOST (all caps) is the same field as Splunk's essential field host (all lower-case), therefore accessible in your index search.  Filtering in index search is more performant.  If the HOST field is not accessible in index search, you can still use a where clause; it's just less efficient.  Also, there can be many ways to calculate location but I am showing the least efficient method because I have no details about how location is embedded into host values and what regularities they have. (In my organization, for example, location is indicated in a fixed level of domain names, therefore I do not need match or rex.)

Hope this helps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...