clorne
Communicator

Hello,
I have a search rule that is perfectly working:
.... |
sort - 0 _time |
fields - _* |
fields data1 data 2 data3

I have created a dashboard and integrated the rule.
The result of the rule is wrong and I discovered that the string search had been modified:

"sort - 0 _time" => "sort-0 _time" and this command does not work; it does not sort time in the correct order
"fields - _*" gets " fields-
*" which is not doing the same thing; it does not remove the fields beginning by _

I have done many tests and this is reproductible 100%.
Each time the generation of the dashboard xml code corrupt my search string and I can not create a working dashboard.

Any ideas are welcome

Regards

0 Karma
1 Solution

justinatpnnl
Communicator

I think you are running into a syntax issue. FIELDS and SORT use the '-' differently. For sort, there is no space between the minus and the field you want to sort in descending order:

sort 0 -_time

I'm not sure if you have a typo on your FIELDS command above, but I think what you were shooting for was:

fields - _*

If your intended result was to end up with only the three fields at the end, you should be able to do this:

.... |
sort 0 -_time |
table data1 data2 data3

View solution in original post

justinatpnnl
Communicator

I think you are running into a syntax issue. FIELDS and SORT use the '-' differently. For sort, there is no space between the minus and the field you want to sort in descending order:

sort 0 -_time

I'm not sure if you have a typo on your FIELDS command above, but I think what you were shooting for was:

fields - _*

If your intended result was to end up with only the three fields at the end, you should be able to do this:

.... |
sort 0 -_time |
table data1 data2 data3

clorne
Communicator

Thansk a lot

0 Karma

jpolcari
Communicator

Check out the sort documentation: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/SearchReference/Sort

Give this a shot instead. This is the correct syntax:

sort 0 -_time

clorne
Communicator

Thanks a lot

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...