Splunk Search

Monitor number of threads used by a service installed on Windows Server

jfaigan
Engager

I have parts of a Windows .Net application that are installed as services and run as services under an account on Windows Server.

I would like to monitor the number of threads that these services are consuming.

Is there a way to do that with Splunk?  I have begun looking at the documentation for APM but I am not convinced this is possible under Windows + .Net.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Regards,
Joel

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

jfaigan
Engager

Ok, so I think I have found what I am looking for, however, it is clearly addressed by SignalFx Smart Agent Receiver but this is deprecated.

It is not clear if the Hosts Metric Receiver will provide the same level of info.

The SmartFx documentation clearly states the process threads is an exposed metric.  The Hosts Metric Receiver does not go into sufficient detail.

Fingers crossed!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Look into Microsoft's Sysmon utility (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sysmon) and the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Sysmon (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1914/).

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

jfaigan
Engager

So I do not think SysMon will provide me the info I need, I do appreciate the idea as it led me to Process Monitor.  I will see if there is any kind of integration with Process Mon.

Joel

0 Karma

jfaigan
Engager

Ok, great!  Thanks for the quick reply.  I will take a look at that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...