Splunk Search

Merge app config files designed for distributed environments?

dbryan
Path Finder

I'm developing an app that will run on in an distributed environment in production, with a search head, an indexer and a forwarder.

Obviously this means that the settings in my *.conf files are split between the three roles.

In development, however, it doesn't make sense for me to have this setup as I have only a single system - I'm simply using a forwarder and an indexer.

The app is changing rapidly, and I'm trying to figure out a way to make changes easily and deploy them to dev without having to go back and change them when it's time to push releases to production.

As far as I can tell, these are my options:

1. write a shell script to concatenate the files for the search head and indexer before pushing them to production
  2. Use a single unified file for props.conf, transforms.conf, etc. across the indexer and search head (this makes the setup less clear/maintainable in my view)
  3. Putting one of the files in default/ rather than local/ in the app directory on dev. It seems like this would work, but I'm not sure what consequences it could have, and it could lead to conflicts if I make a mistake.

Is there another way around this?

Tags (2)

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you not just install both apps (fooapp-indexer and fooapp-searchhead) on the combined dev node? This is the approach I've used in the past to some success - but your problems may be more complex than mine.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...