Splunk Search

Lookup led to repplication of results, why & how to avoid it?

mohitab
Path Finder

I had a query being called from my webApp which was getting XML results nicely.

Query:

search index="timedata" | 
search (icao_aircraft_type_actual="*") | 
eval actual_air_time=ceiling((strptime(actual_runway_arrival,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")-strptime(actual_runway_departure,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"))/3600 )|  
chart limit=19 count by actual_air_time icao_aircraft_type_actual | 
rename actual_air_time AS State

To avoid repetitive calculation of 'actual_air_time' I did a pre-query to generate a lookup table as:

index="timedata"| 
search (icao_aircraft_type_actual="*") | 
eval actual_air_time=ceiling((strptime(actual_runway_arrival,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")-strptime(actual_runway_departure,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"))/3600 ) | 
table id departure_airport_icao_code arrival_airport_icao_code actual_air_time delay_departure delay_arrival | 
outputlookup mytable.csv

So I changed the Query accordingly as:

search index="timedata" | search (icao_aircraft_type_actual="a388") | lookup mytable.csv id | chart limit=19 count by actual_air_time icao_aircraft_type_actual | rename actual_air_time AS State

The queries are fired from angularJS based app through https://localhost:8089/servicesNS/admin/search/search/jobs/export. Now, the problem is that when I see response object from lookup based query, I see two results tag. First one is same as what I get from non-lookup based query, but second tag has debug information:

<messages>
  <msg type="DEBUG">Configuration initialization took 17ms for /opt/splunk/etc</msg>
  <msg type="DEBUG">base lispy: [ AND index::timedata ]</msg>
  <msg type="DEBUG">search context: user="admin", app="search", bs-pathname="/opt/splunk/etc"</msg>
  <msg type="INFO">Assuming implicit lookup table with filename 'mytable.csv'.</msg>
</messages>

First, My code broke due to badly structured response string while parsing it for XML. Secondly, unnecessarily double size data is getting transfered. Can anyone help me understand why I am getting duplicate results, and any way to avoid it?

mohitab
Path Finder

Any ideas on this?

0 Karma

mohitab
Path Finder

Update:

• I managed to get rid of message "Assuming implicit lookup table with filename 'mytable.csv'" by making an entry in transforms.conf.
  • To make clear what I get in results after using lookup (notice there are two results tags):

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>

State
    A388

State
    A388

Configuration initialization took 18ms for /opt/splunk/etc
    base lispy: [ AND index::timedata ]
    search context: user="admin", app="search", bs-pathname="/opt/splunk/etc"

<result offset='0'>
        <field k='State'>
            <value><text>7</text></value>
        </field>
        <field k='A388'>
            <value><text>1</text></value>
        </field>
    </result>
    <result offset='1'>
        <field k='State'>
            <value><text>9</text></value>
        </field>
        <field k='A388'>
            <value><text>1</text></value>
        </field>
    </result>
    <result offset='2'>
        <field k='State'>
            <value><text>11</text></value>
        </field>
        <field k='A388'>
            <value><text>2</text></value>
        </field>
    </result>

• You may also notice that the output is not exactly same.

I am a bit puzzled, why two previews are generated, and why results are not same in the two previews.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...