Splunk Search

Indexing updatable data from a relational database

ecoquelin
Explorer

Dear all,

I am wondering what is the best strategy regarding indexing data coming from a relational database which could change over the time.

Let's take the example of a CRM where you could find a table called "CUSTOMER". That record contains several infos like "last name", "first name" or "address". "Address" field may change over time.

If I index that record (and the others from the same table) because I would like to provide some statistics regarding my customer base using splunk, what would be the best strategy to handle the case where one field may change ?

If my indexation strategy is based on a "modifiedDate" field, the record will get indexed as many times as there are modifications in my table. But as a result, I will get the same customer several times in my index and the statistical results will become wrong.

What would you advise ?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kmorris_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk does not allow for updating of indexed data. So you are correct that each time there is a change, you will have a new event in Splunk. However, you can still analyze the data correctly by only looking at the latest data by customer. Here is an example:

Sample Data:

custname,mydata,moddate
John Smith,123,07/24/18 09:40:00
Bob Jones,987,07/22/18 12:00:00
Sue Simmons,576,04/12/18 08:00:00
John Smith,321,03/20/17 15:00:00
Bob Jones,142,05/11/16 08:00:00

Search:

index="scratchpad" sourcetype="updateddata" 
| stats latest(mydata) by custname

Search Results:
alt text

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...