Splunk Search

How to write a rex extraction based on the count of a previous field value?

dkarthik16

I have a log like this

1000107KARTHIk100203YES

I want to extract like this
1000 07 KARTHIK
1002 03 RITHVIK

where
1000 - Fixed length
07 - Fixed length
KARTHIK - Based on the previous value (07) I need to set the length of the this field.

I tried like this

"(?P<FieldId>[^}]{3}+)(?P<FieldCount>[0-9]{2}+)(?P<FieldValue>[0-9a-zA-Z]{**?**}+)"

Thanks in advance!

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I can't think of a way to do it in a single RegEx but how about 2 pipelined commands like this:

... | rex "(?<FieldId>.{4})(?<FieldCount>.{2})(?<FieldValue>.*)" | eval FieldValue=substr(FieldValue,1,FieldCount)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I can't think of a way to do it in a single RegEx but how about 2 pipelined commands like this:

... | rex "(?<FieldId>.{4})(?<FieldCount>.{2})(?<FieldValue>.*)" | eval FieldValue=substr(FieldValue,1,FieldCount)
0 Karma

dkarthik16

First of all thanks for the reply...
Here I cannot able to use max_match with rex by which I can able to find out all the records in that line.

0 Karma

dkarthik16

Hi WoodCock,

I can able to extract the information from the log using your answer which you posted with one of my colleague's question (the same question) with minor modification of query.

| rex field=_raw "(?.{3})(?.{2})(?.*)"
| eval FieldValue=substr(TempFieldValue,1,FieldValueLen)
| eval TempFieldValue=substr(TempFieldValue,1+FieldValueLen)
| eval subevent=(TransactionCode . ":::" . FieldValueLen . ":::" . FieldValue)

| rex field=TempFieldValue "(?.{3})(?.{2})(?.*)"
| eval TransactionCode=mvappend(TransactionCode, TempTransactionCode)
| eval FieldValueLen=mvappend(FieldValueLen, TempFieldValueLen)
| eval FieldValue2=substr(TempFieldValue,1,TempFieldValueLen)
| eval FieldValue=mvappend(FieldValue, FieldValue2)
| eval TempFieldValue=substr(TempFieldValue,1+TempFieldValueLen)
| eval subevent=mvappend(subevent, TempTransactionCode . ":::" . TempFieldValueLen . ":::" . FieldValue2)

| mvexpand subevent
| rex max_match=5 field=subevent "(?.?):::(?.?):::(?.*)"

| table TransactionCode FieldValueLen FieldValue

By repeating the Bold set of query i can able to extract all the information from the log.

Is there any way to auto iterate this query (loop)? So that i can able to extract "n" number of such records upto end of line which is more or less equal to max_match.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Because we could not get the first pass into a single rex command, the answer is "no". However, we can clean it up quite a bit by putting part or all of it into a macro, which is what I suggest that you do.

0 Karma

dkarthik16

Sure will try that..Thanks

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Don't forget to "Accept" an answer to close of the question (up-voting useful comments is also appreciated).

0 Karma

dkarthik16

Sorry for the mistake in the sample data
1000 07 KARTHIK
1002 07 RITHVIK

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...