Splunk Search

How to use a Lookup File with Multiple Static or Dynamic Values?

chrisschum
Path Finder

We have a standard configuration for our workstations. Several of the fields are static but some are dynamic (but these have a fixed length).

I want to use a lookup table of all the values and apply automatically to a sourcetype.

But I'm not sure how I would go about matching the fields/values with a Lookup Definition.

The standard is 

1=Device Type - Static1 char
2=Building Code - Static3 chars
3=Department Code - Static3 chars
4=Function - Static1 char
5=Asset Tag - Dynamic7 chars

So a machine may be named LBL1HRSSABC1234 indicating it's a laptop in Building 1 in HR Services that is Shared with an asset tag of ABC1234.

How could I use a lookup with these 4 static and 1 dynamic values to populate said values when a search is done on a particular host name.

I should mention that I'm confortable creating the lookup and applying it, just not how to get it to match on the criteria above.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is not a job for lookups.  Use regex-based transformation.

"(?<device_type>.)(?<building_code>...)(?<department_code>...)(?<function>.)(?<asset_tag>.{7})"

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is not a job for lookups.  Use regex-based transformation.

"(?<device_type>.)(?<building_code>...)(?<department_code>...)(?<function>.)(?<asset_tag>.{7})"

Tags (1)

chrisschum
Path Finder

That worked like a charm! Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...