Splunk Search

How to take the result from a timechart 'sum by' and multiply it by another value?

jhewel2495
Engager

Hello, what I am trying to do in this search is sum the total CPU seconds, by report class, for a one day period. Once I have that sum, I would like to take it one step further and multiply that sum by our MSU factor to determine the MSUs used by a specific report class for any given day. 

I believe what I need to do is store the result from the timechart statement as a new variable, to be able to multiply that variable by the MSUFactor. I have not had any luck in  trying a combination of 'eval' statements or by leveraging the AS keyword to store the result into a variable I can further work with. 

I appreciate any help you may be able to offer!

index=z* MFSOURCETYPE=SMF030 Subtype=2 `calccpusecs`
| where Rptcls IN("RHOTBAT","RPDBATLO","RPDBATMD","RSAGBAT","RTSTBAT")
| eval MSUFactor=(37209.3023/5/216000)
| timechart span=1d sum(cpusecs) by Rptcls
| addcoltotals

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this.  It cycles through each report class and uses eval to compute the MSUs used.

index=z* MFSOURCETYPE=SMF030 Subtype=2 `calccpusecs`
| where Rptcls IN("RHOTBAT","RPDBATLO","RPDBATMD","RSAGBAT","RTSTBAT")
| eval MSUFactor=(37209.3023/5/216000)
| timechart span=1d sum(cpusecs) by Rptcls
| foreach RHOTBAT RPDBATLO RPDBATMD RSAGBAT RTSTBAT [ eval <<FIELD>>_MSUs=<<FIELD>> * MSUFactor ]
| addcoltotals

Note that <<FIELD>> is literal, not a placeholder. 

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...