Splunk Search

How to show results if 2 values are true

Dallastek1
Path Finder

Im trying to get specific results if two values in the same field are true but I keep failing

I want to count the number of times a  sc_action=REQ_PASSED when sc_action=REQ_CHALLENGE_CAPTCHA was required

I tried this :

My search | eval activity=if(IN(sc_action, "REQ_CHALLENGE_CAPTCHA", "REQ_PASSED")"passed","captcha") | stats count by activity

I tried if/where and evals, I either get get an error or I get all the results where both are true. Maybe im overthinking it

Labels (3)
Tags (4)
0 Karma

Dallastek1
Path Finder

I may not totally understand how imperva identifies unique events
This query shows alot of confusing results. seems for every event our main site also gets a cs_sessionid which I was led to believe was a unique identifier. AS you can see in the screenshot, the results are kina skewed.
index=imperva sourcetype=imperva:waf (sc_action="REQ_CHALLENGE_CAPTCHA" OR sc_action="REQ_PASSED") s_computername=*
| transaction maxspan=1m startswith="sc_action=REQ_CHALLENGE_CAPTCHA" endswith="sc_action=REQ_PASSED"
| where sc_action="REQ_PASSED" OR sc_action="REQ_CHALLENGE_CAPTCHA"
| eval human_readable_time=strftime(min(_time),"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| mvexpand human_readable_time
| table human_readable_time, s_computername, sc_action, c_ip, cs_sessionid | rename human_readable_time AS Date/Time, s_computername AS "Web Server", sc_action AS "Request Response", cs_sessionid AS "Client Session ID", c_ip AS "client IP"

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you use transaction (which I advise against) you need to correlate with the session id - as you can see in your rows 2 and 3, the session id ending in 93 is out of sync with your rows

Generally the way to find these things is to use something like

search....
| stats min(_time) as min max(_time) as max values(*) as * by cs_sessionid

and in the stats, collect the values you want (instead of values(*) as *)

You won't hit the limitations of transaction with large data sets which silently break your results.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your eval is wrong - you don't need IN

search...
| eval activity=case(sc_action="REQ_CHALLENGE_CAPTCHA", "captcha", sc_action="REQ_PASSED","passed", true(), sc_action)
| stats count by activity

but that will just give you counters of each - are you looking to relate that to a user or IP and should one event follow the other - if so, that's not enough.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...