Splunk Search

How to search the peak CPU usage and duration of that peak usage for each machine from Windows performance logs?

rwiley
Explorer

I am getting performance logs from several Windows servers. The value field shows the % of usage for each machine. I want to pull the peak usage from a given time range and show the peak and duration that it stayed at the peak usage for that time. I tried to use eval max, but I was not able to get it to return the data I needed.

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

sourcetype="Perfmon:CPU Load" host=LOG01DLMNMO | table _time host, collection, counter, Value | sort 0 _time 
| dedup host, collection, counter, Value | streamstats current=f window=1 values(_time) as prev_time values(Value) as prev_value
| where isnotnull(prev_value) | eventstats max(prev_value) as max | where prev_value=max 
| eval duration=_time-prev_time | table host, collection, counter , prev_value , duration | rename prev_value as Peak_Value

View solution in original post

minglani

This is really good script, I am stuggling to get this working, for CPU load % was to stay over 50% for 2 mins or more.

0 Karma

jtrimmi1
Explorer

Nice, thanks!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

sourcetype="Perfmon:CPU Load" host=LOG01DLMNMO | table _time host, collection, counter, Value | sort 0 _time 
| dedup host, collection, counter, Value | streamstats current=f window=1 values(_time) as prev_time values(Value) as prev_value
| where isnotnull(prev_value) | eventstats max(prev_value) as max | where prev_value=max 
| eval duration=_time-prev_time | table host, collection, counter , prev_value , duration | rename prev_value as Peak_Value

rwiley
Explorer

thank you. this looks like what i needed.

0 Karma

bhanue

Hi All,
I am very new to Splunk.

My organisation uses Splunk for all infra monitoring, I am trying to get the "Peak CPU average" (or) the highest CPU hit per instance in last 24 hours of all my Azure VM's.

I am able to get average average using bellow query, but I need peak average - Can you please help.

host=AZR* index="perfmon" source="Perfmon:CPU" counter="% Processor Time" | stats avg(Value) as avgcpu by host

host=AZR* index="perfmon" source="Perfmon:Memory" counter="% Committed Bytes In Use" | stats avg(Value) as AvgMemory by host

0 Karma

minglani

This is really good script, I am stuggling to get this working, for CPU load % was to stay over 50% for 2 mins or more.

0 Karma

suarezry
Builder

show us a sample of the events in splunk and what your desired results should be

0 Karma

rwiley
Explorer

sourcetype="Perfmon:CPU Load" host=LOG01DLMNMO | table host, collection, counter, Value

host | collection | counter | Value
server |CPU Load | %Processor Time | 0.1346..

would like to see
host | collection | counter |peak value | duration of peak value

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...