Splunk Search

How to run a chart command grouped by 2 fields?

sarit_s
Communicator

Hello
Im trying to run a chart command grouped by 2 fields but im getting an error:

this is my query :

|  chart values(SuccessRatioBE) as SuccessRatioBE over _time by UserAgent LoginType

and im getting this error :
"Error in 'chart' command: The argument 'LoginType' is invalid."
I also tried with comma to separate between the fields and ticks also

Labels (2)
0 Karma

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sarit_s 

chart command will not work with multiple fileds , try using stats 

0 Karma

sarit_s
Communicator

but then it won't be by time also , no ?

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The best way to understand the choice made by chart command is to draw a chart manually.  If you cannot draw a chart with two group-by series, chart is correct. (Same with timechart.  I also wonder why you opt to use chart over _time instead of just timechart.)  If you can draw such a chart, chances are that it should either be a stats chart as @SanjayReddy suggested - stats can also use _time, just not in the same form as chart over _time; or it would be something like @gcusello suggested, i.e., "banding" two series into a single series.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To chart over time you use the timechart command. It is a functional equivalent of charting over _time with a bin command applied beforehand. It's just shorter and more straightforward.

But both timechart and chart work over only one category field. If you want to analyze time series over more than one variable fields you need to combine them into a single artificial field. For example (yes, I know this particular search would be more effective with tstats insteads of stats but that's just to show the general idea):

index=_internal earliest=-2h
| eval series=sourcetype."-".host
| timechart span=10m count by series
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sarit_s,

in the chart command you can use only one field for the OVER or the BY option, you cannot use two fields.

the only way (if acceptable) is concatenate the two fields in one:

| eval Column=UserAgent."|".LoginType
|  chart values(SuccessRatioBE) AS SuccessRatioBE over _time BY Column

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

sarit_s
Communicator

its returns very weird results:

sarit_s_0-1696354935371.png

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sarit_s ,

as I said, I don't know if the solution is acceptable for you, this is a workaround because it isn't possible to group from more than one field.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Maybe you can illustrate your sample data in text (anonymize as needed) and explain why the result is "weird"? (I.e., explain the logic between your data and desired output.)  What is the desired result? (I.e., manually chart the result yourself as I suggested above.)

Also, do UserAgent and LoginType always appear in the same event?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...