Splunk Search

How to retrieve the same result in 2 similar search with count different?

jip31
Motivator

hi

In my dashboard, I use 2 similar searches

in the first, I am doing a dc of  "s"

index=test earliest=@d+7h latest=@d+19h
| search rtt >= 150
| stats count as Pb by s
| search Pb >= 5 
| stats dc(s)

the result is 12 

in the second search, i use the same search but I need to gather events also by "s" and also _time

index=test type=* earliest=@d+7h latest=@d+19h 
| bin span=1h _time  
| search rtt >= 150
| stats count as Pb by s _time 
| search Pb >= 5
| timechart dc(s) as sam span=1h 
| where _time < now() 
| eval time = strftime(_time, "%H:%M") 
| stats sum(s) as nbs by time 
| rename time as Heure

the pb I have is that the results is not equal to 12 but to 6

Why I can retrieve the same resulst that in the first search please?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, this is sounds like a perfectly understandable result based on what the searches do. Whether this is what you intended might be a different matter, but only you can be the judge of that 😁

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The results are different because the first set of results is based on counts for the whole time period, whereas the second set of results is based on counts each hour.

0 Karma

jip31
Motivator

ok, but....

why I can see 7 different values for the field "s" in the first search while in the second search i just see 4 different values for field "s"?

Normally, all the field "s" which exists in the first search must exist in the second search but dispatched following the hour no?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Because you are searching for Pb > 5

This removes some instances of s if their counts for that hour do not satisfy this criteria. It is what your search is asking for.

0 Karma

jip31
Motivator

Ok i thing you are right even if it's not esay to visualize, 

so last thing could you confirm me that its normal that the result of distinct count done in the first search is different than when I aggregate the results of each bin _time of the second search?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, this is sounds like a perfectly understandable result based on what the searches do. Whether this is what you intended might be a different matter, but only you can be the judge of that 😁

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...