Splunk Search

How to parse a log file with multiple types of records?

vtsco

I have a log file with multiple line patterns. Something like this:

[name] [surname] [address] [phone] [birthdate] [lastlogin]
[key] [value]
[timestamp] [username] [url] [errcode] [srcip] [dstip]
[field1] [field2] [field3] [field4]

There are multiple types of records in this file and each record type must be dealt with differently. Each record has its own fields and they rarely overlap.

I need to extract each field in each record and then process them. How could I do that? Should I write a regex for each record type? Where should I put these regexes?

I've been searching for a solution, but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use props and transforms to extract the fields you need using regex. Its not a problem if you build a single regex for each distinct field.
Are the lines related to each other? meaning "[key] [value]" can belong to the same event as "[timestamp] [username] [url] [errcode] [srcip] [dstip]". If so, you can just the way splunk looks at your data and build a multi-line event. If they are not related then you might have an issue, since splunk indexes data based on the time stamp and for the looks of it, if they don't related, only one event has timestamp.
It easier to help you if you post a sanitized example of diferent events of you raw data.

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...