Splunk Search

How to extract fields for WinEventLog Fields when Exported as a CSV?

jodros
Builder

I am trying not to reinvent the wheel. There is a requirement where WinEventLogs are indexed as csv files. The sourcetype is automatically detected as structured data and set to csv. I have tried to look through the Splunk_TA_Windows to see if there were any field extraction config that I could modify slightly to get the field extractions to work. So far I have been unsuccessful. The issue is that the normal message of the log is showing as EXTRA_FIELD_6. I could create a bunch of manual field extractions for Account Name, Account Domain, etc, but it would be great if I could leverage someone else's heavy lifting.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Karma

splunker12er
Motivator

Yes, by default with csv as sourcetype for window event logs - it will extract _time, date and time, event_id, extracted_source, level, task category and the EXTRA_FIELDS_6 - if you still need the EXTRA_FIELD_6 to be parsed and properly extract the fields you need to field-extraction using regex (OR) delimiters.

try this link, you ll have some idea,
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/145841/is-there-any-way-to-manually-load-a-windows-event-log-into...

0 Karma

jodros
Builder

Thank you. I don't have an issue with getting the wineventlog into csv. And yes I need to extract the fields that are now within "EXTRA_FIELD_6". I was hoping to leverage the Splunk_TA_Windows and make a few tweaks, so I would not have to do all of the extractions manually.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...