Splunk Search

How to exclude search results based on conditions?

alex4
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I have a below Splunk query which gives me the result.

My SPL searches the " eventType IN (security.threat.detected, security.internal.threat.detected) " and provides me the result src_ip results.

But the same src_ip field has multiple user_id results in other eventType. 

I want my SPL to search the src_ip results with other eventType and filter if the user_id="*idp*".

Example - If my src_ip=73.09.52.00, then the src_ip should search the other available eventType and filter the result if the user_id=*idp*

alex4_0-1694847593675.png

My Current SPL

index=appsrv_test sourcetype="OktaIM2:log" eventType IN (security.threat.detected, security.internal.threat.detected) 
| rex field=debugContext.debugData.url "\S+username\=(?<idp_accountname>\S+idp-references)"
| search NOT idp_accountname IN (*idp-references*)
| regex src_ip!="47.37.\d{1,3}.\d{1,3}"
| rename  actor.alternateId as user_id, target{}.displayName as user, client.device as dvc, client.userAgent.rawUserAgent as http_user_agent, client.geographicalContext.city as src_city client.geographicalContext.state as src_state client.geographicalContext.country as src_country, displayMessage as threat_description
| strcat "Outcome Reason: " outcome.reason ", Outcome Result: " outcome.result details
| stats values(src_ip) as src_ip count by _time signature threat_description eventType dvc src_city src_state src_country http_user_agent details 
| `security_content_ctime(firstTime)` | `security_content_ctime(lastTime)` | `okta_threatinsight_threat_detected_filter`

Labels (6)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're omitting the important part - the "other eventtype search".

0 Karma

alex4
Loves-to-Learn Lots

@PickleRick There are multiple eventTyes in my logs. If i include all eventType then I am getting lot of results. Pls assist.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What @PickleRick is trying to say is that you should tell volunteers what "other eventTypes" mean, how their data look like.  I'd like to add

Example - If my src_ip=73.09.52.00, then the src_ip should search the other available eventType and filter the result if the user_id=*idp*

What does "filter the result" mean?  In many contexts, this phrase is commonly used to mean "to exclude results satisfying such and such."  But in your case, I have a suspicion that you mean the exact opposite.

In addition to this question, you also fail to tell volunteers which data do you expect to include AFTER "filter the result"?  Are you interested only in fields from "other eventTypes"?  Only in fields from eventTypes security.threat.detected and security.internal.threat.detected?  Or some fields from eventTypes security.threat.detected and security.internal.threat.detected, some fields from "other eventTypes"?  Which ones?

When you ask a question in a user forum, you need to give all and precise relevant information in terms of data, desired results, and the logic between data and desired logic, and not make volunteers take wild guesses.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...