Splunk Search

How to edit my search to get the last N transactions since current time?

gregory_geller
Engager

I have defined a transaction based on a JobID and I want to list the last N transactions. How can I do this??

sourcetype=stomp | transaction field-list jobID startswith=(eventtype=Begin) endswith=(eventtype=End) unifyends=true

What I eventually want to do is track some stats over time for the last 10 transactions. For example, total number of bytes copied, average data rate, etc.

Thank you!

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You can use tail command to get the last N events from your search. So try something like this

sourcetype=stomp | transaction field-list jobID startswith=(eventtype=Begin) endswith=(eventtype=End) unifyends=true | tail 10 | ...your aggregation commans on these 10 results...

Update

Need to "head" instead of "tail" here as Splunk events are sorted reverse chronological.

sourcetype=stomp | transaction field-list jobID startswith=(eventtype=Begin) endswith=(eventtype=End) unifyends=true | head 10 | ...your aggregation commans on these 10 results...

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You can use tail command to get the last N events from your search. So try something like this

sourcetype=stomp | transaction field-list jobID startswith=(eventtype=Begin) endswith=(eventtype=End) unifyends=true | tail 10 | ...your aggregation commans on these 10 results...

Update

Need to "head" instead of "tail" here as Splunk events are sorted reverse chronological.

sourcetype=stomp | transaction field-list jobID startswith=(eventtype=Begin) endswith=(eventtype=End) unifyends=true | head 10 | ...your aggregation commans on these 10 results...

gregory_geller
Engager

Thanks. That got me there, although what I want is head 10, not tail. Tail gave me the oldest 10 transactions instead of the newest.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yup... Got confused with "Last" word. I've been using UNIX tail command to get the last 5 lines almost whole day today. Updated the answer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...