Splunk Search

How to create subsearch/join query to get extra field?

psimoes
Loves-to-Learn

I'm trying to do a simple query to get a hostname from events in a different sourcetype. I have a event in sourcetype A, which don't have a field "host_name". This field is present in sourcetype B. The index is the same, let's call it X. Both events can be matched through the field "sensor_id". I want to retrieve the field "process_command_line" from sourcetype A and host_name from sourcetype B, for the events that match the same "sensor_id" field. Here's a sample query that works:

index=X sourcetype=B [search index=X sourcetype=A | table sensor_id] | table sensor_id host_name

However, I also need to retrieve the process_command_line, which is only present in sourcetype A. If I add that to the subsearch, it retrieves zero results:

index=X sourcetype=B [search index=X sourcetype=A | table sensor_id process_command_line] | table sensor_id host_name process_command_line

Any idea how can I retrieve all three fields?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
index=X (sourcetype=A OR sourcetype=B)
| stats values(process_command_line) as process_command_line values(host_name) as host_name by sensor_id
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...