Splunk Search

How to create a table from syslog event?

wiredmonkey
Explorer

I want to create a table from the following syslog entry:

Aug 14 15:37:34 192.168.10.18 Aug 14 15:37:33 WestAnnex1 MAC Authentication failed for [0013.72eb.7330 ] on port 0/1/47 (Invalid User)

The problem I'm having is the fields I'm interested in aren't being created (I'm new to splunk, forgive me) I want the following table:

Time/Date
Source (WestAnnex1 for this example, maybe be able to re-label this to West Annex Switch)
Mac Address (0013.72eb.7330 for this example)
Port (0/1/47 for this example)

Hope I'm making sense and someone can help.
Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

your base search <<index=A sourcetype=B...>> | rex "(?i)^(?:[^ ]* ){7}(?P<Source>[^ ]+).*\[(?P<MAC_Address>[^\]]+)\].*\sport\s(?P<Port>[^\s]+)" | table _time Source MAC_Address Port

Date/Time should already be extracted as _time by Splunk.

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try this

your base search <<index=A sourcetype=B...>> | rex "(?i)^(?:[^ ]* ){7}(?P<Source>[^ ]+).*\[(?P<MAC_Address>[^\]]+)\].*\sport\s(?P<Port>[^\s]+)" | table _time Source MAC_Address Port

Date/Time should already be extracted as _time by Splunk.

wiredmonkey
Explorer

Well, just as you said, a space happened and it messed up the table. See below for the raw syslog:

Sep 2 07:53:25 192.168.10.18 Sep 2 07:53:24 WestAnnex1 MAC Authentication failed for [0030.a103.b3f4 ] on port 0/1/48 (Invalid User)
Aug 29 13:38:49 192.168.10.18 Aug 29 13:38:49 WestAnnex1 MAC Authentication failed for [0050.b980.10c9 ] on port 0/1/47 (Invalid User)

I changed the 7 to a 9 before Source and that fixed it but it will just go back when we hit Sept 10

Thoughts?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

No don't have to, unless the value contains a space(currently I am taking all characters before a space is encountered).

0 Karma

wiredmonkey
Explorer

That worked like charm! Thanks!

I ended up doing this:

index=main sourcetype=syslog mac authentication | ....

One more quick question, if the source (WestAnnex1) changes, that is it says NorthAnnex1 (more characters and/or less) will I have to alter anything?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...