Splunk Search

How to compare the results of 2 searches?

ckutach
Engager

I have splunk logs that are of 2 types, successes and failures. They contain 2 things:

"SUCCESS" "ID: <IDNumber>"

"FAILURE" "ID: <IDNumber>"

My goal is to find IDs that are identified with failures that are not also identified with a success. So for the data:

"SUCCESS" "ID: 0000", "FAILURE" "ID: 0000", "SUCCESS" "ID: 1111", "FAILURE" "ID: 2222", "SUCCESS" "ID: 3333", "FAILURE" "ID: 4444"

the result would be the IDs 2222 and 4444

My current search is: 

index=sampleindex source=samplesource "SUCCESS" | rex field=_raw "ID: (?<id1>+)" | join [search index=sampleindex source=samplesource "FAILURE" | rex field=_raw "ID: (?<id2>+)"] | table id1, id2

I am able to perform each of these searches separately and output the ids, but when I combine them I cannot get the results of either id1 or id2, so I am not able to compare them

Does anyone know how I can structure my search to achieve my final goal?

Labels (5)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am assuming that you will have 2 separate events, one for success and one for failure, so in that case, you'll need a slightly different version of @yuanliu SPL

index=sampleindex source=samplesource (SUCCESS OR FAILURE)
| rex field=data "\"(?<status>SUCCESS)\" \"ID:\s*(?<id>\d+)"
| rex field=data "\"(?<status>FAILURE)\" \"ID:\s*(?<id>\d+)"
| stats values(status) as status by id
| where mvcount(status)=1 AND status="FAILURE"

so the stats command combines all status values for the same id and then the where clause filters out only those ids where the status is FAILURE only

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can perform a set operation on the two searches as illustrated.  But a far more efficient method is to perform just one search and use mvmap.

index=sampleindex source=samplesource (SUCCESS OR FAILURE)
| rex field=data max_match=0 "\"SUCCESS\" \"ID:\s*(?<success>\d+)"
| rex field=data max_match=0 "\"FAILURE\" \"ID:\s*(?<failure>\d+)"
| eval failed = mvmap(failure, if(failure != success, failure, null()))

(In SPL, equality test of a scalar and a vector iterates over the vector.)  The field failed now contains all the failure IDs that is not found in success.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...