Splunk Search

How to change the order of display of column in stats which is grouped by "count by"?

manimuthu
Loves-to-Learn Everything

Hi all,

My query has,

.... | stats latest(time) as recent_event,latest(key) as recent_key, count by field1,field2

and the output has columns (order) like

field1  field2  recent_event   recent_key  count

(where count is obtained because of "count by")

Is it possible to change the order of the columns

recent_event      count       field1       recent_key      field2   

Labels (2)
0 Karma

manimuthu

sorry i am totally new to splunk. the number of seach result differs before and after adding 

| table recent_event count field1 recent_key field2  

by using "count by " the events are grouped based on field1 & field2 (is my understanding correct) and the count of each group is displayed by default under count column.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @manimuthu,

this isn't possible, probably you're analyzing data from different time frames, if you analyze data e.g. of yesterday or one hour ago (in other words: until now), you'll have the same results, because the row I hinted to add doesn't change the results.

Anyway, yes, the stats command groups data by the two fields and gives the result in the count column.

For your knowledge, I hint to follow the Splunk Search Tutorial, to better understand how Splunk works https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/SearchTutorial/WelcometotheSearchTutorial

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @manimuthu,

at the end of your search you have to add a table command, something like this:

Your_search
| stats latest(time) as recent_event,latest(key) as recent_key, count by field1 field2
| table recent_event count field1 recent_key field2   

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

manimuthu

Thanks for replying but its not working for me

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @manimuthu,

Why it isn't working for you, what's the limitation?

The only other option is to insert a row like this in the panel visualizing the search results:

<fields>recent_event,count,field1,recent_key,field2</fields>

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...