Splunk Search

How to add value in two fields based on their name?

phularah
Communicator

Hi, I would like to add value in two fields based on their name.  I want the output as sum of traffic_in#fw1+traffic_out#fw1 and so on by _time.

phularah_0-1674834255078.png

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Something like this?

| foreach traffic_*#*
    [eval "in_and_out#<<MATCHSEG2>>" = 'traffic_in#<<MATCHSEG2>>' + 'traffic_out#<<MATCHSEG2>>']

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Something like this?

| foreach traffic_*#*
    [eval "in_and_out#<<MATCHSEG2>>" = 'traffic_in#<<MATCHSEG2>>' + 'traffic_out#<<MATCHSEG2>>']
Tags (1)

phularah
Communicator

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @phularah,

did you tried with addtotals command (https://splunkonbigdata.com/usage-of-splunk-commands-addtotals/)?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

phularah
Communicator

Hi, @gcusello,

addtotals would add all the field values, which I don't want.

I want the sum of the fields in such a way that it only adds up the fw values, like traffic_infw1+traffic_outfw1, traffic_infw2+traffic_outw2, traffic_infw3+traffic_outfw3 and so on. Now, fw can change and so do their numbers. 

So, if I have 10 fields initially, I should get 5 fields after the summation of required field values. and after that timechart would show 5 graphical lines.

Like in the screenshot shared in the question, I would want sum of field values of 1st and 5th field, 2nd and 6th, 3rd and 7th and 4th and 8th fields.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @phularah ,

if the field names are fixed, you can use eval to sum some selected values.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...