Splunk Search

How to add two Splunk queries output in Single Panel

devsru
Explorer

Hi All,

I am trying to pass a token link to another dashboard panel. My requirement is when I pass Windows Server Token, it must display Windows metrics and Vice Versa. Both the OS SPL queries are different and at one point it can display the metrics from one host only. Can anyone tell me how to achieve this in one PANEL ?

Windows Host SPL

| mstats min("Processor.%_Idle_Time") as val WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_windows_metrics_indexes`) AND host=$host$ span=1m BY "instance"
| eval instance="CPU: ".instance
| eval val=100-val
| xyseries _time instance val

Unix Host SPL

|mstats max(ps_metric.pctCPU) as val WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_ta_nix_metrics_indexes`) AND host=$host$ span=1m BY USER
| eval instance="User: ".USER

Labels (3)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One potential way is to append the two together before performing xyseries, something like

| mstats min("Processor.%_Idle_Time") as val WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_windows_metrics_indexes`) AND host=$host$ span=1m BY "instance"
| eval instance="CPU: ".instance
| eval val=100-val
| append
    [ |mstats max(ps_metric.pctCPU) as val WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_ta_nix_metrics_indexes`) AND host=$host$ span=1m BY USER
    | eval instance="User: ".USER]
Tags (1)
0 Karma

devsru
Explorer

thanks @yuanliu  The Solution seems working but i am getting extra fields. For Example In the below query I am getting results for SPL after append command then why i am seeing empty fields of the first search Filesystem, MountedON etc. 

| mstats latest(df_metric.Used_KB) as "Used_KB", latest(df_metric.Avail_KB) as "Avail_KB", latest(df_metric.UsePct) as "UsePct", WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_ta_nix_metrics_indexes`) AND host=* (earliest="-5m" latest="now") by Filesystem, MountedOn, Type
| eval UsePct=round(UsePct,2), Used_KB=round(Used_KB), Avail_KB=round(Avail_KB) | append [
| mstats min("LogicalDisk.%_Free_Space") prestats=true WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_windows_metrics_indexes`) AND host=* span=1m AND NOT "instance"="_Total" by instance | timechart span=1m min("LogicalDisk.%_Free_Space") as val by instance | eval val=100-val | fields - _time | head 1]Capture.PNG

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@devsru wrote:

thanks @yuanliu  The Solution seems working but i am getting extra fields. For Example In the below query I am getting results for SPL after append command then why i am seeing empty fields of the first search Filesystem, MountedON etc. 

| mstats latest(df_metric.Used_KB) as "Used_KB", latest(df_metric.Avail_KB) as "Avail_KB", latest(df_metric.UsePct) as "UsePct", WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_ta_nix_metrics_indexes`) AND host=* (earliest="-5m" latest="now") by Filesystem, MountedOn, Type
| eval UsePct=round(UsePct,2), Used_KB=round(Used_KB), Avail_KB=round(Avail_KB) | append [
| mstats min("LogicalDisk.%_Free_Space") prestats=true WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_windows_metrics_indexes`) AND host=* span=1m AND NOT "instance"="_Total" by instance | timechart span=1m min("LogicalDisk.%_Free_Space") as val by instance | eval val=100-val | fields - _time | head 1]Capture.PNG

This is getting all too confusing.

1. In the original question, both searches ends with xyseries.  That is why my proposed combined search ends with xyseries.   The above code has no xyseries.
  2. In the original question, both searches are reduced to contain the same three fields: _time, val, and instance.  Therefore my proposed combined search contains the same three fields before append and inside append.  In the above code, only the part inside append is reduced to three fields; the part before append contains "Used_KB", "Avail_KB", "UsePct", "Filesystem", "MountedOn", and "Type".  How are these reduced to val and instance?
  3. In the original question, both mstats commands have a "span=1m" clause, meaning that output would contain rows in 1-minute increment of the search window.  That's why my proposed combined search runs xyseries against _time as specified in the two original searches.  The above code has no span=1m in the main search, and explicitly removes _time from the appended search.  This totally changes the question.  Therefore whatever result you get from the above code has no relationship to the original question.  You should start a different question, carefully describe/illustrate the data after mstats, carefully illustrate what kind of results you are looking for, and describe the logic between data and desired results.
  4. In the form of the above code, your header would have contained "Used_KB", "Avail_KB", "UsePct", "Filesystem", "MountedOn", and "Type" (all from the first search), "val", and "instance" (from appended search).  This would have give you header rows  "Used_KB", "Avail_KB", "UsePct", "Filesystem", "MountedOn", "Type", "val", and "instance", NOT  "Used_KB", "Avail_KB", "UsePct", "Filesystem", "MountedOn", "Type", "C:", "D:", "E:", "HarddiskVolume1", and "HarddiskVolume2" as the screenshot shows.  In other words, the above code could not have produced the screenshot.  What is the real code that produced the that screenshot?
  5. If, as the screenshot shows,  "Used_KB", "Avail_KB", "UsePct", "Filesystem", "MountedOn", and "Type" are all blank, it only means that the search before append gives all null output, i.e.,

| eval UsePct=round(UsePct,2), Used_KB=round(Used_KB), Avail_KB=round(Avail_KB)

is simply blank.  If so, what is the point of running it with append?

• Additionally, if you only care about removing "Used_KB", "Avail_KB", "UsePct", "Filesystem", "MountedOn", and "Type" from final display, you should run fields - "Used_KB", "Avail_KB", "UsePct", "Filesystem", "MountedOn", "Type" after append, not inside append.

Could you reconcile the above to the original question?  If the original question is not the real question, start a different question.  Carefully describe/illustrate the data after mstats, carefully illustrate what kind of results you are looking for, and describe the logic between data and desired results.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Field names appear if any event in your result set has that field, even if the events on that page of results do not have any values in those fields.

0 Karma

devsru
Explorer

Hi @ITWhisperer  How can we ignore these fields as fields - command is not working.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not sure what you mean by "ignore" fields - this is a state of mind, you choose to ignore something.

Having said that, you can remove fields from the output using the fields command with a minus

| fields - FileSystem MountedOn
0 Karma

devsru
Explorer

@ITWhisperer That's what fields - command not working with append. I am getting the same result as in screenshot after using fields - command. Strange

| mstats latest(df_metric.Used_KB) as "Used_KB", latest(df_metric.Avail_KB) as "Avail_KB", latest(df_metric.UsePct) as "UsePct", WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_ta_nix_metrics_indexes`) AND host=VMP-STATA-01 (earliest="-5m" latest="now") by Filesystem, MountedOn, Type
| mstats min("LogicalDisk.%_Free_Space") prestats=true WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_windows_metrics_indexes`) AND host=VMP-STATA-01 span=1m AND NOT "instance"="_Total" by instance | timechart span=1m min("LogicalDisk.%_Free_Space") as val by instance | eval val=100-val | fields -  Filesystem, MountedOn, Type | head 1]

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The append command is appending more events to the pipeline of events - the events with Filesystem, MountedOn, etc. are introduced to the pipeline by the mstats before the append, and the fields - is only removing the fields from the events being introduced by the append; it does not apply to the whole pipeline since it is still within the square brackets.

0 Karma

devsru
Explorer

@ITWhisperer so how can we ignore the fields ? They are not looking nice in the dashboard. I can’t remove before append because some searches are producing data using that SPL

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What do you mean by "ignore" the fields?

0 Karma

devsru
Explorer

@ITWhisperer @yuanliu Below attached is the final result with append command. I want to ignore the fields with no data. How can it be done as fields - is not working.

Capture.PNG

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please share the search which gives this result

0 Karma

devsru
Explorer

@ITWhisperer 

| mstats latest(df_metric.Used_KB) as "Used_KB", latest(df_metric.Avail_KB) as "Avail_KB", latest(df_metric.UsePct) as "UsePct", WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_ta_nix_metrics_indexes`) AND host=$host$ (earliest="-5m" latest="now") by Filesystem, MountedOn, Type
| eval UsePct=round(UsePct,2), Used_KB=round(Used_KB), Avail_KB=round(Avail_KB) |append [ | mstats min("LogicalDisk.%_Free_Space") prestats=true WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_windows_metrics_indexes`) AND host=$host$ span=1m AND NOT "instance"="_Total" by instance | timechart span=1m min("LogicalDisk.%_Free_Space") as val by instance | eval val=100-val | fields - Filesystem, MountedOn, Type | head 1]

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As I said earlier, you have the fields - inside the square brackets of the append command so it doesn't affect the fields from the first part of the search. You need to move it to after the closing square bracket if you want it to affect all the events.

0 Karma

devsru
Explorer

@ITWhisperer The problem is If I remove the fields after append then it will delete these fields for the first SPL which used these fields. Tricky

Capture.PNG

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes. So what do you mean by "ignore"?

What are you expecting to see?

0 Karma

devsru
Explorer

@ITWhisperer  There are two SPL queries combined. I am passing a token from another dashboard. When it is Linux server token, I want to see first SPL results, when it is Windows server Token , I want to see second SPL result but I want to retain one panel only and no combination of fields from these two searches which are appended.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK That is clearer - try something like this (assuming your token is called type and has either "Windows" or "Linux")

| mstats latest(df_metric.Used_KB) as "Used_KB", latest(df_metric.Avail_KB) as "Avail_KB", latest(df_metric.UsePct) as "UsePct", WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_ta_nix_metrics_indexes`) AND host=$host$ (earliest="-5m" latest="now") by Filesystem, MountedOn, Type
| eval UsePct=round(UsePct,2), Used_KB=round(Used_KB), Avail_KB=round(Avail_KB) 
| where $type|s$ == "Windows"
|append [ | mstats min("LogicalDisk.%_Free_Space") prestats=true WHERE (`itsi_entity_type_windows_metrics_indexes`) AND host=$host$ span=1m AND NOT "instance"="_Total" by instance | timechart span=1m min("LogicalDisk.%_Free_Space") as val by instance | eval val=100-val | fields - Filesystem, MountedOn, Type | head 1
| where $type|s$ == "Linux"]
0 Karma

devsru
Explorer

@ITWhisperer  If you can see the SPL's, I am passing a single token $host$ so If I am clicking on either OS, it automatically check which SPL it belongs to. This seems to be working except the Windows token where we are seeing additional fields apart from the correct data.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Either pass an additional token with the server type or find a way to determine the type from either the host token or the information available in the indexes

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...