Splunk Search

How to achieve timechart query group by multiple fields?

splunkuser320
Path Finder

Hi, I am trying to create a line graph where I want to show job status overtime. So I want 1 line for failed and another for passed jobs.

query |
| rex field=event "'job_name': '(?<job_name>.+?)',"
| rex field=event "'job_status': '(?<job_status>.+?)',"
| timechart count by job_status

Above query is grouping by staus all jobs together. I want to split the status by jobs. 

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

acharlieh
Influencer

If you watch @alacercogitatus' perennial .conf talk "Lesser Known Search Commands" , another way to achieve this, is through using eval to create fields named for other field values. 

For example: 

| rex ... 
| eval JS_{job_status} = 1
| timechart count(JS_*) as * by job_name

Of course I'm assuming there's not many potential values to job_status, or else, oof, that could be a bit brutal for the number of fields...  and you can use this trick with any other statistical function here as well... 

View solution in original post

acharlieh
Influencer

If you watch @alacercogitatus' perennial .conf talk "Lesser Known Search Commands" , another way to achieve this, is through using eval to create fields named for other field values. 

For example: 

| rex ... 
| eval JS_{job_status} = 1
| timechart count(JS_*) as * by job_name

Of course I'm assuming there's not many potential values to job_status, or else, oof, that could be a bit brutal for the number of fields...  and you can use this trick with any other statistical function here as well... 

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The simplest way is to do

query |
| rex field=event "'job_name': '(?<job_name>.+?)',"
| rex field=event "'job_status': '(?<job_status>.+?)',"
| eval series=job_name.":".job_status
| timechart count by series
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...