Splunk Search

How do I write the regular expression to extract fields separated by a backslash?

macoo
Explorer

Hi Community,

I'm struggling with a regex expression. I'm trying to extract fields (seperated by \) into the three new fields. I tried the following but with no luck:

Data: \ValueA\ValueB\ValueC\ValueD...

RegEx: rex field=InputField "\\(?<Output1>.*)\\(?<Output2>.*)\\(?<Output3>.*)\\"
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Regex101.com successfully parses your sample data with regex string you provided. What results are you getting and what are you expecting?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

macoo
Explorer

Well, it works in regex101.com but fail in Splunk with the following error:

Error in 'rex' command: Encountered the following error while compiling the regex '\(?.*)\(?.*)\(?.*)\': Regex: unmatched parentheses

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That error message usually means an escape character is missing. The board messed up your regex string, however, so it's impossible to tell where the error might be. Please re-post your entire rex command by enclosing it within backtics.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...