Splunk Search

How do I group results based on 3 fields?

Vornae

I am trying to group three fields together and have the first two to be unique values. The fields are Sensor Name, Work Station, and Events. What I am trying to do is get a list of Work Stations per Sensor and all the Events that fired on the Workstation without repeating the Sensor name or the Work Station name. Any help would be great since I feel like i am beating my head against the wall.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this. Again, this is efficient/easy to view if the number of events per Sensor/WorkStation combinations are low <100)

your base search giving fields Sensor_name Work_station Event | stats values(Work_station) as Work_stations list(Event) as Events by Sensor_name

The output will be like this (in single row, all events for all work stations for the sensor )

Sensor1              WorkStation1                  Event1
                     WorkStation2                  Event2
                                                   Event3
                                                   Event4

If you want to segregate events for a WorkStation, then try like this

your base search giving fields Sensor_name Work_station Event | stats list(Event) as Events by Sensor_name, Work_station

The output will be like this (3 rows )

Sensor1              WorkStation1                  Event1
   Sensor1              WorkStation2                  Event2
                                                      Event3
   Sensor1              WorkStation3                 Event4
0 Karma

Vornae

Somesoni2 Thank you for your reply. What i am actually trying to get at is the Events segregated by workstation and the workstations segregated by sensor so that only one sensor is listed, each workstation per sensor that has events is listed and each event that happened on a workstation is listed per workstation.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

For formatting the code/output, select the text and click on button 101010 available on top of the text box, OR select the text and press Ctrl+K.

The expected format you're looking for is like double level row merge in Excel, which I'm afraid is not available in Splunk. So, you can either go with option 2 OR go with option 1 with some customization so that you can segregate the Events. Something like this (see if it helps):-

your base search giving fields Sensor_name Work_station Event | stats count by Sensor_name Work_station Event | appendpipe [| stats count by Sensor_name, Work_station | eval Event="*****".Work_station."*****"] | stats values(Work_station) as Work_stations list(Event) as Events by Sensor_name
0 Karma

Vornae

Somesoni2 thank you for your reply. These are close to what I am looking for but not quite there. So I am looking for each unique work station to show up under thier unique sensor and every event that fired next to the work station it fired on. How do you do the formatting on your examples so I can show you better what I am talking about.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...