Splunk Search

How Do I Make 5 Bar Graphs by Using the Output of a Chart String as Input to a Timechart String?

jeremy_fade

I use the following search to show a pie chart of the top 5 IPs connecting to the network:

sourcetype="conn_log" | chart count by Orig_IP | sort -count | head 5

I also use the following search to look up a specific IP (for example, 8.8.8.8) on all logs, exclude instances where the IP doesn't exist, then view it on a bar graph:

8.8.8.8 | timechart span=1h count by sourcetype | addtotals | search Total > 0

Ideally, I want to combine these 2 strings to have the first string fill in the IP criteria for the second string, making a bar graph for each of the top 5 IPs. But if this can't be done, is there a way to make 5 individual search strings to display bar graphs for each of the top 5 IPs?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Maybe (not sure about how you are doing sourcetype) like this:

index=YouShouldAlwaysSpecifyAnIndex sourcetype="conn_log" 
[search index=YouShouldAlwaysSpecifyAnIndex sourcetype="conn_log" | Top 5 Orig_IP | table Orig_IP]
| timechart span=1h count BY sourcetype

Also, look at the new Trellis feature:
https://discoveredintelligence.ca/splunk-6-6-new-features-part-iv-trellis/

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Best to always code the index.

index=foo sourcetype="conn_log" 
     [ search index=foo sourcetype="conn_log" 
     | chart count by Orig_IP 
     | sort 5 -count 
     | table Orig_IP
     ]
| timechart span=1h count by Orig_IP
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...