Splunk Search

Help Joining Indexes

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have 2 indexes with a common field that I extracted (The JSession ID)

So I want to join index=mainand index=accessby using the field RTG_JSession

index=access has web requests with the Jsession ID
index=main has the IP address with the Jsession ID

So I want to have a table which shows the:

IP Address | Web Request | JSession ID 

Here's my current search which could use some tweeking.. The RTG_IP field was extratced to grab the IP Address

index=main | Join RTG_JSession [search index=access | stats count by RTG_IP]
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try to avoid join ( subsearches ) if you can. Will this work?

index=main OR index=access | stats values(*) AS * BY RTG_JSession | stats count AS "Web Requests" values(RTG_JSession) AS "JSession IDs" dc(RTG_JSession) AS "JSession ID count" BY RTG_IP | rename RTG_IP AS "IP Address"

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try to avoid join ( subsearches ) if you can. Will this work?

index=main OR index=access | stats values(*) AS * BY RTG_JSession | stats count AS "Web Requests" values(RTG_JSession) AS "JSession IDs" dc(RTG_JSession) AS "JSession ID count" BY RTG_IP | rename RTG_IP AS "IP Address"

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This was very close to what I needed. It seems to be that the 'Web Requests' field is counting the number of JSession's. I need to have 3 columns showing IP Address | Web Requests | JSession ID.. The web requests are the HTTP calls we get, so "GET /browse/financeInquiry.jsp?provider=GE&_requestid=32423423423 HTTP/1.1" would be the Web Request. So I went ahead and extracted another field called RTG_WebReq which grabs these values. I also expect an IP Address to have many Jsessions and Web Requests

Here's an example of what I'm looking for

172.20.197.82 | GET /browse/financeInquiry.jsp?provider=GE&_requestid=43534534 HTTP/1.1 | 99CA349F0BB69E402A678345AC007E2Z
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

OK, then, this should do it:

index=main OR index=access | stats values(*) AS * BY RTG_JSession | stats count(RTG_WebReq) AS "Web Requests" values(RTG_JSession) AS "JSession IDs" dc(RTG_JSession) AS "JSession ID count" BY RTG_IP | rename RTG_IP AS "IP Address"
0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I took a different approach and this does the trick. You gave me the idea to abandon the join which I now see why. Below is the search I used for anyone needing help in the future. Thanks for the help!

index=access OR Index=main | transaction RTG_JSession | transaction RTG_JSession RTG_IP RTG_WebReq | table RTG_IP RTG_JSession RTG_WebReq
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Well, transaction has other problems and it's performance can easily be worse than join but if your times are close together and you are using only 1 field that all events contain, it should be fine (e.g. your first transaction) but I would be concerned about your second one on large data sets.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...