Splunk Search

Getting Data into Splunk

rockb
Explorer

I just installed splunk and imported my license.

I have a series of Windows event viewer files that have been exported that I want to import.  

I have tried the following:

1. Settings --> Add Data
  2. Upload Files From My computer
  3. Select the file.  It reads the file.
  4. Next
  5. Select Preprocess-winevt
  6. Next
  7. Review
  8. Submit
  9. Start Searching

No events are shown.  

What am I doing wrong?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

rockb
Explorer

I figured it out.  After the process is complete the Search window has host="xxxx" and sourcetype="preprocess-winevt".

If I delete host="xxxx" and sourcetype="preprocess-winevt". events are shown.  

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rockb 

I hope checked in all time range and playing with search also.

Just guessing the reason and I doubt on retention period of Index. Just check the possible _time of indexed event and index retention period. 

0 Karma

rockb
Explorer

kamlesh,

I think you are saying to make sure that I am specifying to show all events not just events in a specific time period.  I did not select any time period and if I understand the interface correctly it is saying it sees no events prior to today at 10:52  There are 8198 events listed when I open the evtx file in Windows event viewer.

rockb_0-1620748411960.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...