Splunk Search

Filtering for specific hosts or indexes

ebdavis333

The search string I am currently using is the following:

| metadata type=hosts |where recentTime < now() - 86400 | eval lastSeen = strftime(recentTime, "%F %T") | fields + host lastSeen | sort - lastSeen

I would like to be able to use that as a base search but be able to append some more specific filters such as:

host=abc*

index=dns

The first command that came to mind was adding a pipe search at the end, but that doesn't seem to work properly. I know this may be elementary for some of you Splunkers out there, but can anyone offer a quick hand? Much appreciated!

Brian

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

You can append the following

|search host=abc*

View solution in original post

aweitzman
Motivator

You can do something like adding the following after the end:

| where host="abc*"

You're going to have to add index to the list of fields in your fields command if you want to be able to filter on those, though.

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

You can append the following

|search host=abc*

ebdavis333

I was doing this yesterday and it didn't seem to return any results, but works today. Thanks all for your contributions!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...