Splunk Search

Error in 'eval' command: The expression is malformed. Expected AND.

woodencraft
Loves-to-Learn

Hello,

I am trying to execute the following query but keep getting... Error in 'eval' command: The expression is malformed. Expected AND.

. . . | streamstats current=f last(_time) as last_time by host | eval gap = last_time - _time | where gap > 50 | convert ctime(last_time) as last_time | eval refresh_seconds = (avg(last_time) / 1000) as refresh_minutes

What am I doing wrong?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

avg() is a stat function, not eval one.

And judging by your use of "as" clause, you wanted to use stats indeed.

0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

What are you trying to accomplish? 

0 Karma

woodencraft
Loves-to-Learn

I did figure out the problem is I did not need the 'as refresh_minutes' in for the eval

Ultimately I want a table that shows time gaps > 50 between 2 events. I am refreshing a token every 50 minutes and I need to see those gaps in a table

I've changed it to this but I get no data in the time_in_minutes column.

. . . | streamstats current=f last(_time) as last_time by host | eval gap = last_time - _time | where gap > 50 | convert ctime(last_time) as last_time | eval time_in_minutes = last_time / 60000 | table LocalTranId time_in_minutes

woodencraft_0-1637790336096.png

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First you use ctime() to render timestamp to string then you're trying to divide the string by number. It doesn't work that way.

BTW, why do you want to divide by 60000?  Timestamps are in seconds.

0 Karma

woodencraft
Loves-to-Learn

I figured out about not dividing by 60000. I changed to 60 and then round(time_in_minutes, 0) to get rid of the decimal places. I also took out the ctime()

This is what I have now:

. . . | streamstats window=2 range(_time) as timediff | eval time_in_minutes = timediff / 60 | eval time_in_minutes = round(time_in_minutes, 0) | table _time LocalTranId time_in_minutes

Based on how I described what I want is the 'window=2' giving me what I am looking for? I scanned through events around the time of the 51 shown in the table below and I can't find any 2 events > 50 minutes

woodencraft_0-1637796499771.png

It's clear I'm new at this. I've only been creating simple queries which I'm sure this is probably very simple to you and I appreciate you helping me. I've just  now realized I need to do more to get what I really need.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have the event immediately after, that's 51 minutes later.

PickleRick_0-1637830388179.png

Remember that splunk generally* returns search events in reverse chronological order (from most recent to oldest), so - unless you resort them - you're calculating streamstats from the most recent events. Which means that it's the difference from the previous event _in the event list_, not chronologically. So - in your case - you're calculating the difference from the event that happened immediately _after_ the one you're analysing.

*There are some additional factors affecting event order if you're using commands like append or multisearch.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...