Splunk Search

Diff help please

mcbradford
Contributor

I have a search that returns one result, one of the fields is called whatchanged, and this field really has two values within the one field. I used makemv to separate the one value into two values, and then I use mvexpand on the field WhatChanged, followed by diff. It looks like this:

....... | makemv delim="---" WhatChanged | mvexpand WhatChanged | diff attribute=WhatChanged

What I am trying to accomplish is identifying what exactly changed between the two fields. Splunk knows the two are different, (as I do to), but it is not telling me from the string of text what has changed.

For example:

value 1 = hello my name is mark and I am happy

value 2 - hello my name is mark and I am sad

I would like for the word "sad" to be called out as the change.

Any thoughts on how to do this, or if it is even possible?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

nabeel652
Builder

I don't know much about your requirements but this might be helpful with some modifications

| makeresults | eval data = "hello my name is mark and I am happy---hello my name is mark and I am sad" |  makemv delim="---" data | eval field1= mvindex(data,0), field2=mvindex(data,1) |  makemv delim=" " field1 | makemv delim=" " field2   | eval field = mvzip(field1,field2) | table field | mvexpand field | makemv delim="," field | eval field1= mvindex(field,0), field2=mvindex(field,1) | eval diff = if(field1==field2,"",field1."/".field2)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...