Splunk Search

DDoS: How to find average connection count per IP in 5 minute window?

zachsisinst
Explorer

Hi friends, I am trying to piece together some splunk searches across application logs to try and piece together what 'normal' traffic patterns look like, vs DDoS attacking IP addresses. The end goal is to answer the question: "For each IP that connects to our application, what is the average connection count within a 5m span, across a 2 hour period? What are the outlier ( greater than average) 5m span connection counts? 

I have the following timechart which has been useful, but I'm sure there is a better way to do this. 

index=myapplicationindex sourcetype=_json cluster=cluster23 | timechart span=5m count by x_forwarded_for where count > 75

Labels (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use streamstats with time_window=5m (there is however an upper limit on events within the window - by default it's 10000 - so if you accumulate more than this number, your search may fail or produce erroneous results).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...