Splunk Search

Create table of max values from timechart results

ryanholland
Explorer

I've created a time chart which successfully builds a table of the count of "src_ip" values in a 5 minute bucket. So, for the 1 hour period, I have 12 time buckets (5 min each) for each "pool" of src_ip's.

index=my_index earliest=-60m sourcetype=*dhcp* dhcp_message=DHCPACK | lookup wireless_networks network as src_ip | search ssid=mynetwork | transaction src_ip maxspan=5m  | timechart span=5m count(_raw) as leases by pool

I would instead like to end up with a table that has JUST the maximum value across all 12 buckets for each "pool". I thought I could simply pipe to a stats or streamstats or table command, but this does not seem to work. Once I have the timechart I want, how can I get a table with just the maximum of each column across all the time buckets?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'll transfer your issue to something we can all run - counting _internal by sourcetype. This would be your timechart:

index=_internal | timechart count by sourcetype

As a result you get buckets with a count for each sourcetype for the specific timespan.
In order to get the maximum value per sourcetype, append this stats:

index=_internal | timechart count by sourcetype | stats max(*) as *

Then you get one row with the maximum per sourcetype.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you append this

... | lookup lookup_name column_1 AS column_2

you'll get the other fields from the lookup joined to the other rows. A look in the docs wouldn't hurt either 🙂

0 Karma

ryanholland
Explorer

Awesome! Now I have a table with columnA=pool and columnB=highest_peak. This is great.

In a different lookup table, I have columnA=pool and columnB equal to max allowed in the pool. I'd like to determine the percentage of highest_peak / max. I don't know how to put the results against the "max" column I have in the other lookup.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Transpose?

Note, depending on your ultimate goal there may be more efficient ways.

0 Karma

ryanholland
Explorer

Awesome! This gets the data I need. Is there a way to get one COLUMN with maximum per sourcetype instead of one ROW?

0 Karma

ryanholland
Explorer

Adding to the above comment response, here's an illustration. I currently have this:

(Sorry for the link . . . apparently I don't have enough "Splunk karma")
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yt4gc9dl87matbj/splunk_img.png

What I'd like to have as a result is:

• north-A 1161
  • north-B 1067
  • south-A 925

(Ignore the fact that the first row contains the maximums. That's not always the case.)

Ideas?

0 Karma

ryanholland
Explorer

Just looked up what I think you are referring to, but not sure it's applicable. With timechart, I (obviously) get buckets for each time slice, and for each time slice, it's broken down by pool. However, for each individual pool, I want the max across ALL the time buckets. Perhaps a screen shot is worthwhile . . .

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you tried the max aggregator in timechart?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...