Splunk Search

Compare data in different souretypes with no common field

kashifqau
Explorer

I am having below situation

• I am having 2 different sourcetypes "logs" and "range".
    • logs contains log events which are having a field with name "num"
    • range contains 2 different fields with names "lowerlimit" and "upperlimit"
    • I have to create a search to get the "num" field from sourcetype "logs" and compare it in sourcetype(range) and display the lowerlimit and upperlimit for which num>=lowerlimit AND num<=upperlimit

I created a main search to get "lowerlimit" and "upperlimit" and a subsearch to get "num", however after that I do not know how to perform the comparison.

[I am having no common field among both these searches]

Thank you and looking forward for a solution.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

nikita_p
Contributor

Hi @kashifqau,
Can you try below query if it helps you.
index=xyz sourcetype=logs AND sourcetype=range| stats count BY num,range |search num>=lowerlimit AND num<=upperlimit

0 Karma

kashifqau
Explorer

Thank you nikita_p for your reply.

Sorry to say that provided search is not producing desire. stats count by num, range returns no result

0 Karma

nikita_p
Contributor

Can you please try using OR:-
sourcetype=logs OR sourcetype=range

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

-- [I am having no common field among both these searches]

For such a case, you can use -

eval combined_field = coalesce(fielda, fieldb)
0 Karma

MonkeyK
Builder

Kashifqau, if you already have used a subsearch that gives you "num", the way to compare fields is the "where" command,
so
| where num>=lowerlimit AND num<=upperlimit

Not sure why Splunk needs where separate from search, but where is what lets you compare fields in the same record.

0 Karma

kashifqau
Explorer

Thank you for replies

@ddrillic , the coalesce function combines the 2 fields into a single one. In any case I have to make a condition between values of 2 different sourcetypes, which yields in no result. I am trying further with coalesce but as of now I didn't succeeded in it

@MonkeyK, my issue is that i have to make a condition between fields in 2 different sourcetypes. In this case a normal where clause does not work because we are having data in below format

num lowerlimit upperlimit

80 110
40 60
310 400

and so on. In this case

0 Karma

MonkeyK
Builder

I see, so you have a subsearch that can get "num" from logs, but it does not include that value in the records from range.

There are a few ways to do this, including using this:
use your current search and eventstats to get the value that you want

base search
| eventstats first(num) as num
| where num>=lowerlimit AND num<=upperlimit
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...